Biomethane in Europe
With the attack of Russia on Ukraine and the disruptions in the European energy markets, energy independence has gained priority in many countries quickly. Biomethane as a direct, renewable replacement for natural gas has therefore increasingly moved into focus in Europe. According to the Biomethane Action Plan proposed by the European Commission, biomethane production in the EU shall increase by more than 10 times until 2030.
In the future, the biomethane development is especially driven by the demand in the heating and transport sectors, both sectors which are hard to decarbonise. With the latest amendment to the Renewable Energy Directive, the renewable energy targets in these sectors have been further tightened. Biomethane can play a vital role in reaching these targets.
However, as of the beginning of 2023, the level of biogas and biomethane exploitation in Europe varies considerably. The study gives an overview over the current state of biomethane production in Europe and which markets can be expected to have a dynamic development in the next years.
For this study, ecoprog has examined the European market for biomethane production in detail.
The study "Biomethane in Europe" contains on more than 170 pages:
- A description of biogas production and upgrading technologies as well as gas infrastructure.
- The analysis of more than 800 existing biomethane plants and almost 500 projects.
- A description of costs and revenues of a biomethane plant and a comparison with the costs of natural gas.
- An analysis of the most important market factors and drivers for the future biomethane production development.
- The analysis of major competitors in this market at the level of technology providers and operators/projectors.
- An analysis of 12 of the most important biomethane markets at country level.
Additionally, you will receive access to ecoprog’s waste & bio Biogas module for 12 months, which contains data on more than 10,000 biogas and biomethane plants and projects worldwide.
The study is available in English language starting from 2,900.– € plus VAT.
ecoprog’s waste & bio Infrastructure Monitor is an excellent complement to the study if you wish to stay up to date on all developments in the bioenergy sector. The Monitor contains all relevant news on new plants and projects, company and policy news in the biogas market. Clients of our w&b Monitor will receive a discount starting from 600.– €.
Phone +49 (0) 221 788 03 88-13
Biogas database (trial access)